Business Intelligence Assistant
NHS AfC: Band 5
- Business Intelligence
- NHS AfC: Band 5
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Alexandra Park
- St Helens
- £25,655 - £31,534 Per Annum
- 05/11/2021 23:59
An opportunity has arisen for a well-motivated individual to join the Corporate Information and Analysis Team. The post holder will be responsible
for the provision of information and analysis to Senior Managers within the Trust . Key to meeting these challenges is the provision of BI dashboards IN SSRS reports, QlikView and Power BI.
Please note, interviews may include assessment tasks. Interviews will be held 10th November 2021
Main duties of the job
You will play a key role in ensuring that any information required is available to the Trust in a timely manner and in an easy to understand format.
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent and will possess strong analytical skills and have an extremely good working knowledge of
SQL and BI software. You will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a role to help drive forward change within the Trust.
Please see the attached job description and person specification for further details
Working for our organisation
St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is the only acute Trust in Cheshire and Merseyside, and one of the few in the entire country, to achieve the title of OUTSTANDING, rated by the Care Quality Commission.
We provide a full range of acute adult services to our local population of circa 360,000 and provide tertiary services across a much wider area in the North West, North Wales and Isle of Man. We are a Major Trauma Unit and the Mersey Regional Burns Unit.
Our '5 Star Patient Care' strategy is at the heart of all that we do; supporting our vision to provide world class services for all our patients by getting it right for every patient, every time.
Our latest achievements include:
- Acute Trust of the Year – HSJ Awards November 2019
- Trust rates Outstanding by the CQC – Inspection August 2018
- Top 100 places to work in the NHS (NHS Employers and Health Service Journal)
- Best acute Trust in England for quality of care for the 3rd year running (NHS Staff Survey)
In the NHS Staff Survey 2020 the Trust scored the highest marks in the following areas;
- Quality of care
- Staff engagement
- Support from managers
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
• To communicate complicated and difficult to explain IM&T issues to non informatics staff.
• To analyse user requirements for reporting mechanisms/outputs and suggest the deployment of appropriate hardware and software.
• To ensure that automatic data download processes that encompass a validation of successful completion of all jobs are run in accordance with the schedule.
• To work with the Business Intelligence Analysts to analyse situations and instigate solutions, whilst communicating with users.
• To keep an up-to-date knowledge of working practices both within the analysis teams and in data collection areas at each of the Trusts.
• To produce reporting outputs that are considered to be user friendly, clear and accurate.
• To include the use of graphical techniques where appropriate, to enhance the presentation of outputs.
• To attend meetings to represent the Business intelligence team as designated by the Business Intelligence Manager.
• To support the transfer of knowledge to the system management and IT training teams of the tools to be developed/deployed.
• To produce supporting documentation that will enhance users understanding of the system/s.
• To input into the content of all training programmes that are to be delivered that will provide instruction on the use of the system/s.
• To fully document all processes in the form of formal written procedures. These procedures are to be vigorously tested and be made available to all members of the data intelligence team.
• Ensure confidentiality of patient data at all times, by awareness and compliance with existing legislation and good practice, for example Data Protection Act 1998; Caldicott principles and recommendations; local policies and procedures.
• Health and safety – all employees are required to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who maybe affected by their acts and omissions
• This job description is not intended to be exhaustive as duties may change in light of the annual performance review appraisal and ongoing developments.
The location /base of this role may change at any time and the post-holder may have to manager services across numerous sites.
- GCSEs (A-C) in Maths and English
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent in a numeric subject
- Member of professional organisation e.g. ASSIST: IHM,UK CHIP
- Planning and organising workloads to meet deadlines
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an NHS environment
- Data Dictionary knowledge
- Staff management / supervisory experience – minimum 1 year
- Experience of available information and recording practices at an Acute Trust
- Knowledge of bKnowledge of BI tools e.g. Qlikview, SSRSenchmarking sources e.g. Dr Foster
- Meeting DoH and SHA statutory reporting requirements
- Training – transferring potential skills and knowledge to others
- Intermediate to Advanced IT skills – especially Excel and Access
- Strong interpersonal team working skills
- Have a thorough understanding of NHS data sources, data definitions and data flows, including DSCN’s or equivalent
- Skills in the analysis, presentation and interpretation of information
- Excellent numeric and accuracy skills
- Data protection legislation; Caldicott and other relevant guidance
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to work on own initiative and completely independently
- Investigate and resolve data anomalies
- Ability to work under pressure and produce high quality work to tight deadlines
- Working knowledge of SQL and Qlikview (or other similar reporting packages)
- Ability to travel to various hospital locations by own car/ assisted driver
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Ian Roberts
- Job title
- Business Intelligence Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0151 430 1164